We all know planning meals can be difficult – between coming up with a meal idea to trying to find something healthy that your children will also eat. For this series, we wanted to do the heavy lifting for you – by coming up with a delicious lunch to go with a Vitapod drink and a nutrition breakdown to put your mind at ease!
These meal inspirations have been created for the age group of 5-8 years old. Which means that our meal recommendations are designed to suite the daily fruit, vegetable, grains, protein, and dairy recommendations for children between the ages 5-8 by the USDA. For vegetables, this age group should have 1.5 to 2.5 cups a day. For fruit, 1 to 2 cups a day. For protein, 3 to 5.5 oz-equiv. For grains, 2 to 3 oz-equiv. And for dairy, 2.5 cups.
This quick and easy lunch idea was especially made for your next hiking adventure. The perfect combo of foods to keep you energized!
- 1/3 cup peanuts
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Two slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- One tomato
- Handful arugula
- Two slices antiobiotic-free black forest ham
- One peach
- One Sports+ pod.
- Mix peanuts, almonds, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, currants, and cranberries in a bowl. Spread mustard one on slice of bread and mayo on the other. Lay tomato slices on either slice of bread, add arugula and ham and top with other slice of bread.
- Cut your peach into slices.
- Make your Sports+ drink and enjoy your hike!